Poll ended at Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Yes
75%
no
25%

Total votes : 4

Fogged borders

Postby morphles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm

It seems the default and traditional play is to updated borders irrespective of map vision. I can see some rationale in that esp when world is sufficiently advanced. But less so while in early game. However I think that fogged borders would make gamore interesting and give more value to maps, which in my eyes is good. Now you can estimate situations quite a bit by border changes in fog. This cuts down on need to explore and on posibilities of information warfare. So I would suggest trying fogged borders.

Side notes:
I was also thinkg about disabling ability to see score of other players in hopes of promoting exploration and information warfare, but it seems it's not possible. Though it is possible to disable demographics but that is less usefull.

Aslo anyone has experience in playng game without borders? Somehow that kinda attracts me as borders would be more emergent, or so I think.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Fogged borders

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Fogged borders means that tile property displaying is not updated till you actually SEE the tile, right?

If I can remember well, LT by default is with fogged borders.
I can think of only one "down" for fogger borders: that when you lose a city, the borders around it still are displayed as yours while they actually aren't. If you can live with this permanent reminder of your past glories and of your current disgrace, as I do, that's fine.
In addition you get a world map from which you can't really tell what's going on if you don't move your ass and send there a scout or trade some maps (please someone confirm that by obtaining a more recent maps you also have all details of known tiles properly updated).

I can't remember exactly, but in GT01 enemy cities changing hands were not updated, while borders WERE updated. Can someone confirm this?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby morphles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Yes city ownership is not update, same can be seen in gt8. And I'm pretty sure you get updated borders when trading maps. That lost city scenario seems mostly irrelevant.

monami theres also one more thing where I'd like to hear your opinion. In civ3 you would see everything inside your borders and that seems kinda nice to me. What do you thing? Any comments on borderless games?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm

morphles wrote:That lost city scenario seems mostly irrelevant.

I wrote it by purpose :P
morphles wrote:In civ3 you would see everything inside your borders and that seems kinda nice to me. What do you thing? Any comments on borderless games?

I'm not quite sure what are you talking about. You mean in this ruleset?
I also have to comment something about borders. I can't stand - also from a aesthetical point of view - that borders have - in most rulesets - a fixed shape, somewhat circular, which slightly grows when the city becomes big.
I may be wrong but I can remember that in Experimental ruleset there were a very interesting borders algorythm which somehow took in consideration terrain and produced different and more "natural" shape of borders. I would love to have this algorythm in every game.

Some time ago I wrote something about borders: please read http://civland.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
monamipierrot

Postby Davide » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Outcome: fogged borders enabled.
Davide

Postby morphles » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Just wanted to say that, so far, loving those fogged borders! No more magical knowledge about lands far away.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm

morphles wrote:Just wanted to say that, so far, loving those fogged borders! No more magical knowledge about lands far away.

Agree.
monamipierrot

Postby BeckettTheIncompeten » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes, this definitely puts my brain to rest by allowing me to slaughter the opposition silently without the whole globe knowing.
BeckettTheIncompeten

Postby monamipierrot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm

BeckettTheIncompeten wrote:Yes, this definitely puts my brain to rest by allowing me to slaughter the opposition silently without the whole globe knowing.

How sweet... :)
monamipierrot

Postby Corbeau » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Makes you all warm and fuzzy, knowing that children are protected from ugly scenes of violence... Unless it's at their doorstep...
Corbeau

Next

Return to Polls