Total votes : 6

Movement on Rivers

Postby XYZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Bring back the x3 movement on rivers!
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Re: Movement on Rivers

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:09 pm

XYZ wrote:Bring back the x3 movement on rivers!

Yes yes yes yes!!!!

Also, can someone tell me what happens once you discover more modern ships? Will new triremes (and ability to move on rivers) be impossible to build? :(
Can cities next to a river be able to build triremes?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby ifaesfu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Isn't there x3 movement yet?
ifaesfu

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:34 pm

ifaesfu wrote:Isn't there x3 movement yet?

AFAIK: river x3 movement is disabled by default in the ruleset, and substituted with the trireme thing.
IMHO, both should coexist altogether.
However, it doesn't make sense that a potentially tactical and strategical feature such as trireme river navigation should abruptly end with the advent of more modern units.
The problem may be addressed in 2 way:
1- triremes will no longer get obsolete. However I believe that this neceserily mean that they can't be updated.
2- (preferrable) All marine units of the same obsolete/update line (triremes, caravels, galeons, and transports, i.e. all mainly transport marine units) shuold have the same ability to travel throu rivers. Additionaly: they shouldn't get any terrain defense bonus, and they also should be given a defense penalty when attacked in a river tile.

Consider than with (2), even without the defense penalty, once exhausted the military and exploration ability of the trireme, river navigation will have less and less strategical importance, and they will just used for fast transport and limited military tactical operations.
monamipierrot

Postby Lord_P » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Im not sure I like the idea of all ships moving on rivers..battleships steaming up to your inland cities would be horrifying
How about making all infantry units with the "marine" ability (There are a few in civ2/3) able to use rivers. They obviously have some kind of landing craft/surfboards/pig bladder trousers with them already.
Lord_P

Postby Lord_P » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:22 pm

also its a good thing triremes cant carry "large land" units. cannons on a boat on a river could attack from the ship (they are on land not sea) before being moved back to safety...
Lord_P

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Lord_P wrote:Im not sure I like the idea of all ships moving on rivers..battleships steaming up to your inland cities would be horrifying.

ThAt's the reason I only proposed the river ability only for the updates line of trireme: caravel, galleon and transport.
monamipierrot

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Lord_P wrote:also its a good thing triremes cant carry "large land" units. cannons on a boat on a river could attack from the ship (they are on land not sea) before being moved back to safety...

This is a good point. However, I don't know if the longtime wanted distinction between heavy and small units or other type of ditinction (e.g. mounted/wheeled/infantry, active/passive) is easy to implement and exploit.
If you can move a cannon, make fire and then retreat with a ship, it is an insanely big advantage for attacker. However, remember that moving throu a river may be very dangerous so you have to carefully plan your attacks. This of course if it is true (someone please check!) that a defense unit (a musk or rifleman) CAN'T defend its ship while on river.
monamipierrot

Postby morphles » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:47 pm

Sadly loaded units defend perfctly well, at least that was the case in gt6 on freeciv 2.3, you could have city with nothing but transport that is loaded with marine, and marine would defend the city, so I see no reason why it would work differently outside the city. But I might be wrong... Realistically there any of this makes no difference, cause loading/unloading on the sasme square is noop/uses no movement points. Thus you can transport your stuff unload, wait for turn change and load again.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Outcome: River's 3x movement bonus applies. [Ruleset]
Davide

Next

Return to Polls