Accounts e-mail HP

Introduction to GT10 series

Wild ideas for the first GT series

Introduction to GT10 series

Postby Davide » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Introduction:
There are multiple "schools of thought" regarding how future matches should look like. For example, some users terribly love hex maps, some love to author and play scenarios, some others to explore black, virgin maps.
Our userbase size is growing up to a point where it would be safe to spawn multiple concurrent matches without running the risk of not having enough players per match.

I propose to try out a new approach for the upcoming GT10: spawn multiple variants of the match, concurrently.
Ferdi (XYZ) is working on a new unpublished scenario based on colonial Africa, which looks really good up to this point (work is in progress!); on the other hand, monamipierrot has always proposed hex tiles since GT01, and lately hexes seem to have gained a more widespread appreciation.

So, would you like to see multiple variations of GT10 scheduled for the same date? For example, we could have the variations:
  • GT10-Africa
  • GT10-Hex
You can also propose more variants, but I doubt our current userbase would be large enough to be split over more than a couple of matches.

Individualism:
Another feature I want to experiment with the GT10 series is individualism.
I will no longer be the reference administrator for this GT10 series. Each match will be spawned only if one person proposes himself as administrator of the match. For example, if Ferdi wishes to run his African scenario, you - Ferdi - just have to announce the game you intend to run and propose yourself as administrator.

Anybody can propose a match for this GT10 series. A request should be filled in this thread, and should detail these points:

• The proposed name for the match. Example: GT10-Africa. No underscores or spaces; preferably a short name.
  • Peculiar features of the match, which remarkably distinguish it. In this example, Ferdi would propose to run the African scenario. Perhaps others could propose to use some underground "gothic" ruleset, or maybe the Hex map topology.
  • ... and of course, propose to be the administrator of the match!

As you advance your proposition, I will spawn a "blank", unconfigured server on meta, and I'll create a dedicated subforum on the Greatturn section. Then, you are the man by this point! You have the webadmin control panel, which gives full control over your server. Set up your match, choose everything the way you want it to be. Some polls are just incompatible with the way you want your match? Ignore them! Or you are a very democratic person? It's up to you. If users don't feel like your match is the right one for them, well, there will be other matches to choose from, in this GT10 series.

What do you think?
Davide

Re: GT10 series

Postby XYZ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53 pm

I take the challenge! :D
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby monamipierrot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Davide wrote:Set up your match, choose everything the way you want it to be. Some polls are just incompatible with the way you want your match? Ignore them! Or you are a very democratic person? It's up to you.

I think this is a good enough approach.

Anyway, someone above everybody (Davide???) should take care of not letting the energy of the community be drained by improvised game admins which don't have a clear, strong, original and realistic vision of how to build a match and having players participate and enjoy it, regardless of admins approach ("democratic" one vs. - let's say - "enlightened" one).
I propose to set two kind of match building, based on its administrator approach:
- DEMOCRATIC (many polls will be opened, experimental features can be proposed and accepted)
- ENLIGHTENED (admin vision should be strong and focused, so key rules may be strictly interdepending: this may leave room for very few variation, so less polls, exclusively on minor or cosmetical features, and otherwise fixed and clearly stated properties/features/rules. Experiments should be conducted only on minor or isolated aspect of the games)
As in software tradition, ODD GTx numbers (GT11, GT13, GT15...) would be the DEMOCRATIC (somewhat more experimental) matches, while ODD ones (GT12, GT14...) would be given to enlightened admins providing that they publish a good plan.
I don't see the reason not to call the newcoming HEX game GT11.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:47 pm

The idea to keep upcoming games bounded to the name GT10 is to explicitly express the affiliation between the matches which constitute the GT10 series: all of them are scheduled to run concurrently, and hence gain the exclusivity of choice; that is, supposing that the series comprises several matches, users wouldn't register to all of them, but rather would make a choice and pick only a part of the matches within the series. This binding finds its name in the title of the series: GT10.
Davide

Postby Davide » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm

OK Ferdi!

I'll generate your server instance now (GT10-Africa) and grant you access to the webpanel. Then the server will be listed in the registrations page. I'll schedule a start date in 6 weeks from now, but you'll be able to adjust that by your own via the webpanel.
Oh, just ask if you want to nominate some additional co-admins to help you.

Edit:
Subforum GT10-Africa created. Server opened for registrations. Webpanel authorized.
Basically, you are now the king! You can do whatever you want: if you don't do absolutely anything, the server will start nonetheless at the scheduled date, but if you do something, that's all better for GT : )
You will require my action only to put the scenario file inside the server. This is the only action not possible via the webpanel. All the rest, such as ruleset, match settings, mass-emails, etc are all accessible to you :mrgreen:
Of course, I'll provide assistance if you want ;)

To start with, I'd begin with /set ting up a few settings, since your server is currently kinda blank :P
Davide

Postby Davide » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 am

monamipierrot wrote:Anyway, someone above everybody (Davide???) should take care of not letting the energy of the community be drained by improvised game admins [...]

Selectivity of skilled co-administrators is implicit. This selection role has currently been assigned to me :halo:

monamipierrot wrote:I propose to set two kind of match building, based on its administrator approach:
- DEMOCRATIC
- ENLIGHTENED

Even mankind itself was originally intended ( :halo: ) to be divided in two categories: male and female. Today we've discovered that some of us don't fit very well in these predesigned categories, and rather there seem to be several more shades between the two. (creative, ain't it? :P )
If I were to decide for Greatturn, I wouldn't force an administrator to fit in the fixed role of a democratic or an enlightened, but rather his creativity should be left free to work his own way and show his best. Individualism is also this, to me. Am I wrong?
Davide

Re: Introduction to GT10 series

Postby morphles » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm

I agree with giving more freedom to game admins.

I will definetly not play africa game and I like hex. So I suggest myself as one of hex game admins, seing as monami has similar mindset and has some experience with administering a game I suggest him as main or companion admin.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Excellent, morphles!

In a few minutes your server will be set up across all of Greatturn website, including: forum subsections, webadmin panel, user registration form, ruleset editor, etc.

Via the webadmin panel you'll be able to manage almost everything of your match. There's also a short man page here to help new admins get started. For any help, I'll be glad to answer.

I'll be happy to accept monamipierrot inside your administration team, if he wishes.
Davide

Postby monamipierrot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:08 pm

morphles wrote:monami has similar mindset and has some experience with administering a game I suggest him as main or companion admin.

Well, I agree we have similar mindset and very close tastes. However, my contribution to the administration of GT01 was not much more than cosmetical. I have almost no coding skills and zero experience in using freeciv commands. I don't even know how to start a game, just to give the idea.
However I can grant a minimum of support in all that is outside coding (such as forum and community administration, communication - providing that you or Davide tell me how).
I only want to put some conditions:
  • GT10 Hex (or whatever will be its name) should be of my taste - i.e. not much different than GT09! - so I would want to play it!
  • The match should not start before some convenient delay respect to GT09: i.e. 2 months (end of april). I know that Davide want the 2 GT10 to be concomitant but I don't think it is a good idea. We should at least pospone the match AFTER easter holidays (in catholic country such mine it is in middle april, so end of april seems to me a perfect timing). By that time GT09 History will be entering a hotter and hotter modern era, but hopefully it will be ended when the same will be happening in GT10HEX.
Please don't take this as blackmailing. I simply want to let clear my personal needs. E.G. given my hard real life work, I really can't afford to play (and administrate) 2 matches with only 1 month delay from each other. And if I lose interest in playing a match because of match settings which I don't like, I may lose interest in adminsitrating it for the same identical reasons. I think GT10HEX can't find a better advocate for hexes, but I don't want the decision to be taken solely on my needs: I think both of you should properly convinced too.
The delay seems to me convenient enough even without taking in consideration my needs. Remember that by end of april there will be AT LEAST 2 matches already running and maybe GT08 also will be still running. TO start a match every 1 month seems to me a fast enough pace. Faster seems to me dangerous cause it could force many players to skip many matches due to lack of time.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Davide » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 am

monamipierrot wrote:my contribution to the administration of GT01 was not much more than cosmetical

That was a totally different kind of administration from what we have now! The webpanel still didn't exist at that time, so an administrator could only perform his management as an authoritative forum moderator whose decisions had to pass thru me before entering into GT.

It'll be perfectly OK to shift the start date to whenever you find it more opportune, be it the end of April, or anytime you think it's best. It won't be a problem if the matches in the series won't start synchronized, absolutely. The GT10 games are managed by different teams of administrators, each of them is completely free on their decisions, including the start date. The "bounding" I explained above would still be relevant, because all the games in the series would remain listed in pregame - hence open for registrations - mostly during the same weeks.

As you'll become administrator and gain direct access to the webpanel, you won't have to worry about the match not tasting as you'd like. Here are explained in detail all the settings which you can /set via the panel.

So, I'm glad to welcome you in the administration board of GT10-Hexmap :)
You also have access to forum moderator's buttons. Feel free to take action just on things that best suit you ;)
Davide

Next

Return to GT10 series