Accounts e-mail HP

Well, that was anticlimactic

Ferdi's Hearth of Darkness African scenario

Well, that was anticlimactic

Postby Corbeau » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 am

Corbeau now controls Corbeau (Human, Dead).

The problem for me in this game is, basically, that I never had a chance. Being a minor power surrounded by a bigger power who isn't interested in anything but taking over your territory, there were no decisions I could make to change the outcome. Also, during the whole time I didn't manage to discover a single technology; I got maybe to 20% of the needed points in the 50 turns that passed. Although, that part is at least realistic (I know some people don't care about realistic, but what is the point of scenarios, then?)

So maybe to put into cinsideration in future scenarios: think about a way to make everybody able to survive by making the right choices. Choices may be hard to find, but they need to exist. Here they didn't.
Corbeau

Re: Well, that was anticlimactic

Postby XYZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Hey Corbeau,

first of all my apologies. Since I created and managed this scenario I'm obviously responsible. I wanted to write this earlier but thought it would be wiser to wait until the game is over. Anyway, although the differences between the players were intended I hoped to controll big players by intrudicing the alliances restriction that also more or less worked. I hoped that small players would create big alliances to compensate for their weaknesses. I also hoped that the big powers Britain and France would antagonize themselfes creating space for the opportunistic rest. So much to my theories...

What went wrong:

1. I simply forgot to place the capitals in a favourite position wich lead right at the beginning to civil war in GB and hence leaving France as undisputed King of Africa. That Nimrod and you had no capitals at all at the beginning is only marginalia.

2. Leaving trade on gave additional power to big nations but the actual death blow to the scenario came when I accidentally gave to everyone airport technology. And again the biggest profiteur was France with Madagascar as trading houb generating massive amounts gold. I should have forseen it.

3. Drop-outs: It's a general problem of scenarios that every idler blasts a huge whole in the complex power structure. I was well aware of that and tried to get replacements but what can you do if even veteran players like Sillo leave the game without a word. Lgos at least asked to be freed from the burden. Next time I'm more readical about letting new players take a role in scenarios.

4. The huts were for the tribial ai's intended to give them extra tech, units or cites. It turned out differently...

I created this scenario in record time, using a map Davide created for me as template and editing almost every tile, taking a colonial map to place every city, putting on the map different kinds of units, giving every player tech. Unfortunately that was in between exams and right after I had my internship so I did very little testing and was most of the time in a rush.

The coming "Games of Freeciv" scenario is much more balanced and better tested and I hope you give scenarios a chance again!
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

XYZ wrote:1. I simply forgot to place the capitals in a favourite position wich lead right at the beginning to civil war in GB and hence leaving France as undisputed King of Africa. That Nimrod and you had no capitals at all at the beginning is only marginalia.

Hey! Unless you lived it, you wouldn't have called what we experienced to be "marginal" in any way. Not having a capital is devastating in this ruleset. I lost almost all of my offensive capacity and none of my cities were growing, all for the first 5 turns or so. That's quite the handicap. Especially more so for a "minor" country like the Boers.

That being said, I have to applaud both you and Corbeau. It wasn't easy to put this scenario together, and it wasn't easy fighting off the French, too. Cheers!
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Corbeau » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Mate, what are you talking about? No apology needed, really. This is a game, and a complex game, and we all do it in free time and it's probably impossible to do everything right ;) So don't feel guilty, that't not why I wrote it. I did it to show the errors for anyone else who does scenarios (and good that you listed additional ones; just curious: "Leaving trade on gave additional power to big nations" - Why is that?)

Also, you can't really control who quits and who stays. That's simply out of our hands. Best to keep this possibility in mind, it can ALWAYS happen.

And what happened to huts?

Nimrod: I wouldn't call what I did with the French "fighting off", really :) "Amusing" isn't the same as "successful" :)
Corbeau

Postby XYZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 pm

The trade bonus you get depends greatly on the distance. Also different nations and a new continent a matter. Big nations can safely move caravans through their territory, if they posess islands they can simply make them fly over if airports exist.
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby Major Nimrod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Corbeau wrote:Nimrod: I wouldn't call what I did with the French "fighting off", really :) "Amusing" isn't the same as "successful" :)

LMAO ! :lol: Nice one
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Return to GT10-Africa