Accounts e-mail HP

Impressions

Ferdi's Hearth of Darkness African scenario

Re: Impressions

Postby Corbeau » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks.

However, does anyone else thinks that the consequences of not having a palace are a bit too drastic?
Corbeau

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Speaking from the point of view of a scenario designer, it's quite easy to mistakenly deploy cities without a palace. Essentially, what happens is that the first city deployed for any given nation will, naturally, have a palace. But decisions down the line may cause one to remove that city in favor of a better position (perhaps more accurate, or better strategic placement). Anyhow, once the city is removed then the palace is gone... and it's not automatically replaced (unlike in the game, where there is a setting that's normally toggle on to replace palaces if they are captured).

Ultimately, I think Corbeau is right: the absence of a palace (and of a capital) is pretty catastrophic. Morbid curiosity leads me to want to see just how bad it gets with other governments (which one would be the worst?). ;)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby BeckettTheIncompeten » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm

My impression of this scenario is that is could be a bit better setup.

My main complaint is that cities started at size 1. This is bad because, as stated above, many units had to be abandoned because the small cities could not support them. Fortunately, I realized this early and was able to disband some units in a formal matter. This factor of small cities also slows the game down in terms of conquest, since there is really no point of destroying a city of size 1 this early in the game.

But after all, XYZ very generously made this scenario on the fly (in 3 days, I am told) because of time constraints.
Maybe in the future scenarios could be tested first for the 'simple' bugs and improvements? Then again, the more people testing scenarios the more people who have an 'unfair' advantage by knowing the map...
BeckettTheIncompeten

Postby Davide » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 pm

The problem Beckett is that we don't have enough people on board to provide a divine service to our citizens. As long as Greatturn won't be an "Enterprise Inc." with employees payed to do the hard job - and obviously it will never become - we won't be able to provide the perfect services we all would like to have. I also wish someone could heed your call for better scenarios. But we don't have anybody in charge for that task, as long as nobody nominates himself. By the way, thank you Ferdi for working on this African map!
Davide

Postby XYZ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Yes, next time I will definetely do more testing. It's so much more work to fix things after the game has started... :P I was just inpatient to get this scenario going :D
XYZ
Contributor & Co-Admin

Previous

Return to GT10-Africa