Accounts e-mail HP

Genral discussion about game setup

A hex-based game organized by Morphles

Re: Genral discussion about game setup

Postby Corbeau » Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 pm

monamipierrot wrote:I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
Your idea is to sync TCs of some games in order to have them more or less at the same time a day, correct?
I think it is a bad idea, for the above reasons.

You mean those that have nothing to do with the exact time when TC happens?
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Do you guys understand my point and can you help explain it to Corbeau?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby Corbeau » Tue May 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Wait, wait... I just realised that you screwed up the quoting... Ok, So:

monamipierrot wrote:
Corbeau wrote:
monamipierrot wrote:I agree with Morphles:
1. you really don't have to be there on TC, unless you want to do some nasty trick to the enemy ;)

What does this have to do with the topic?
I don't see which other reason for one may want TCs to be synced. Explain me please.

I believe Beckett explained it in the poll topic. I could simplify it: it helps you to keep track of your games. As it is now, I have to remember of two, possibly three times a day, watch where I'm logging in, oops, no, I did my moving here, other game, then... Wait, what time is it? Did I move my units? Is it TC for GT09 or GT10? Shiiiit....

2. If the servers were synced, you could only see TC in ONE of them... unless you use multiple instance of the client (and I'm not sure you can) or you use more PCs connected at once. In any case, very impractical!

Same question. With the addition that I don't understand what you are actually trying to say at all.

See above

See what? I don't understand what you are saying here. From what I'm reading, you're actually explaining why it is better to have TCs synced, but you're not. Are you?

3. For the above reasons, I think that if only one or two players don't agree, they would be totally right and we shouldn't be allowed to change the sync. You can't change sensible things on the run, even with 99% majority.

How else do you change turn sync if not "on the run"?

Before games start?

You don't change turn sync at the beginning. You SET it at the beginning. And if things change during the game, sync is the one that is absolutely harmless for the sake of gameplay.

So, yeah, someone please explain what you are trying to say?
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Tue May 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Corbeau wrote:As it is now, I have to remember of two, possibly three times a day, watch where I'm logging in, oops, no, I did my moving here, other game, then... Wait, what time is it? Did I move my units? Is it TC for GT09 or GT10? Shiiiit....

No, at all. You only have to go to your PC once a day, and make moves for all games. Full stop. It MAY happen that one of the games has only <60 minutes left: in this case, the very next day you COULD miss a turn, cause it only lasts 23 hours. But this happens once every 24 turns, so THAT DAY you will have to find another 15 minutes to move during next day.
UNLESS you want to move around TC, as I explained above.

See what? I don't understand what you are saying here. From what I'm reading, you're actually explaining why it is better to have TCs synced, but you're not. Are you?

Really can't understand you. I put it better.
If what you want is to move around TC (and this is the only rational reason I could think for your request), then it will be very hard for you to keep control of several TCs if they are synced and happening at once. If you want to move at every TCs, much better if they are NOT synced. Couldn't be more obvious.

You don't change turn sync at the beginning. You SET it at the beginning. And if things change during the game, sync is the one that is absolutely harmless for the sake of gameplay.

Oooopss. I have to be very careful with words! Ok:
you shouldn't CHANGE (on the run) such a setting. You have to SET it (at the beginning) unless you achieve unanimity.
Did I write it correct now?
monamipierrot

Postby Corbeau » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

monamipierrot wrote:You only have to go to your PC once a day, and make moves for all games. Full stop. It MAY happen that one of the games has only <60 minutes left: in this case, the very next day you COULD miss a turn, cause it only lasts 23 hours. But this happens once every 24 turns, so THAT DAY you will have to find another 15 minutes to move during next day.
UNLESS you want to move around TC, as I explained above.

This would be reasonable if I had such a neat life that I'd know my daily schedule to the minute: get up at 0700, go to work at 0730... play Civ at 1800... go to bed at 1100... and every day the same. Then it would be no problem. However, I don't and probably nobody does. We play Civ when we can, keeping in mind when the turn ends, squeeze it between something else. Then, you have to keep track of different times of TCs. If you play more games, it becomes a nuisance.

If what you want is to move around TC (and this is the only rational reason I could think for your request), then it will be very hard for you to keep control of several TCs if they are synced and happening at once. If you want to move at every TCs, much better if they are NOT synced. Couldn't be more obvious.

Right now I have no need to move near TC. There were 3-4 turns a few weeks ago when that mattered, not at the moment. And if I did, well, that would be my problem. Civ is a turn-based game so, if you have a lot of work and limited time, choose your priorities.

However, am I reading this correctly, you think TCs shouldn't be in sync because it would be a problem for me. Well, thank you very much for your concern, I assure you I'll manage somehow. But I'm curious, are you, perhaps, talking about a problem that you will have, and that you want to avoid? Is this maybe why you are resisting it? Do you want to do everything as soon as the game ticks and this kind of sync would cause you problems?

you shouldn't CHANGE (on the run) such a setting. You have to SET it (at the beginning) unless you achieve unanimity.

Why? It's not like a one-time 12 hour delay would destroy or disbalance a game. It would do absolutely nothing excep, well, delay a many-months-long game for 12 hours. So what's the problem?
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Tue May 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Fine for me, then.
monamipierrot

Previous

Return to GT10-Hexmap