Postby morphles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 pm

I suggest such settings:
fractal gen obviously
temperature - 0,
wetness - 100
landmass 45+-10,
mountains 30-50
also 1x1enabled, and separate poles disabled

What this gives is map full of "boreal forrests" and mountain ranges, that unexpectedly look like mountain ranges!, all of this is very wide polar zones. There is some grasslands hillls, plains near equator and for balance it should be ensured that ether noone starts there or everyone starts there, this might need human intervention.

Why I like it: tons of forrests, like in real history, you will need to clear them to make land more hospitable. Mountain range limiting movement in serious ways providing for interesting tactical and strategic possibilities. Though I would change mountain def bonus to practicly 0, to disencourage slowly and securely creeping in them, making mountains serious path blockers. There is big advantage for such maps with hex topology; squares create those mountain ranges but often they are passable using diagonals, no such issues with hexes, making those range very appealing looking.

I'd also suggest low resources/specials 50 at most, 25, or even 10.

Please someone write some thoughs;) I'm planing opening polls for boreal and special settings separetly in few days.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: "Boreal" world?

Postby Corbeau » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 pm

I have no problem with mountains being serious path blockers. Why not have a game with civilizations separated by mountain ranges, making a war difficult, until roads are built, and then give more importance for combat along those mountain passes? (have a few units crawl around and attack them from the flank, slowing down or stopping reinforcements).
Corbeau

Postby monamipierrot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:54 am

Appealing. One of the most interesting features of real-life Earth is impassable mountains.
And you got a great point about hexes and mountains: it looks like that only hexes can "paint" proper mountain areas, channels, istmuses, and so on.
One thing: I'm for auto placement, if possible, so we are not relying on human help. So if we can find a setting in which computer can find a good start placement, much better.
Tips: it looks like auto placement NEVER place players in the middle of sub-artic (tundra) region, and even less in arctic region. In the worse case you can find yourself in a tundra area but close to temperate terrain.
Please check your case.
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby morphles » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:46 pm

It seems you are right, just tried: 0 temp, 100 wet, 0 mount 45 land, 120k tiles, 120 players. No one got placed totaly in tundra regions, its ether in midle of temperate lands (that have quite some grass between the dense forests) OR just on the edge/border of colder regions. Thought there is still some impact from this, it shouldn't be that bad. If there are like 2-3 explorers given one should be able to find more fertile locations quite easily. Also if game will be with no allied victory (which I think can be good idea) those center people, if they get too strong, might expect some coloborative beating :). Though gt9 must progress more to see if that happens. Still I think this idea is quite workable!
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Grendel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:23 pm

FYI, there is the Starter flag for terrain types which allows players to start on that type of terrain.

Just an idea, could make Mountains impassable. Perhaps only to Alpine Troops, but this involves creating another Unit Class and adding that class to all effects.
"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" —Gandhi
Grendel

Postby monamipierrot » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Grendel wrote:FYI, there is the Starter flag for terrain types which allows players to start on that type of terrain.

Really? How does it exactly work?
monamipierrot
Co-Admin of GT01, GT10-Hex.

Postby morphles » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:30 pm

It is not really irrelevant. It only attempts to place units on starter terrains. As starter terraisn will still have to touch non starter terrains this is of very limited use.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Grendel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Well, afaik units will not start the game on any terrain types that don't have the Starter flag. In the default game, glacier and tundra are not starter terrains, but grassland, plains etc. are. So if we want people to start in certain regions we can limit the Starter terrains to regions that have those terrains, eg. glacier/tundra only and players will start near the poles, plains only and players will start near the equator.
Grendel

Postby morphles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Does not do any good. Set only glacier as start, and yes player will start at the polse, some on edge of ice sheet, others in a middle of it, tough luck for him? Again main problem is that whatever setup you come up with tere will be edge and middle of certain region, be it "forestland", "iceland", "desertland"; and there will always be significant differences between starting at the edge of such location and in the middle of it.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Grendel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 am

Could you post whatever draft .serv file you might have so we can test settings? Thanks.
Grendel

Next

Return to GT10-Hexmap