Accounts e-mail HP

Can't load save from Dropbox

Ask here about any kind of problem, or help with your experience!

Can't load save from Dropbox

Postby AlexTFish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi there. I'm loving the Android Freeciv port. Enjoying a game on the British Isles map.

I wanted to rename my cities to more accurately match their geographical location. Rename cities is well known to be one feature that's missing from Android Freeciv, but aha! The new Dropbox support will let me rename them on my desktop then carry on from my phone, right?

It seems not. When trying to load the game from Dropbox after it was saved from the Windows version, the screen displays nothing.

More precisely:
* It's able to save to Dropbox fine. I edited all the city names from my Windows box and re-saved to the same Dropbox folder.
* It's able to find the game I saved from Windows in the Dropbox folder.
* It appears to copy the save over OK, because in the save game list I now see "from-dropbox.sav". (Looks like it's unzipped it, leaving it without the .gz extension. The problem still occurs if I unzip the save game in the Dropbox folder beforehand.)
* It appears to try to load the save game. As usual, it says "Touch to start game".
* But then the screen is completely blank (the usual papyrus yellowish-brown texture). There's a white square box at top-centre, which I think is where it's trying to draw the game map. But it doesn't display anything else.
* The back button still works, to provide the usual Save / Save to Dropbox / Quit / Help options.
* My device is a Samsung Note II. Freeciv Android says it's version 1.1.7.

Is this a known issue?
AlexTFish

Re: Can't load save from Dropbox

Postby AlexTFish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm

The plot thickens. It turns out I can't even load saves that were saved by the Android version from Dropbox. The Windows Freeciv is completely eliminated from the picture - just loading a save that I saved to Dropbox from my phone gives the same behaviour (blank papyrus-style background, with the white square for the minimap at top-centre rather than top-left).
AlexTFish

Postby Major Nimrod » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 pm

I've gotta say, major props to you for thinking of saving games to your Dropbox, to play from either desktops/laptop platform then onto Android device, and back.

Pure genius! :D

Sadly, there's probably a file save compatibility issue. I'm no developper, so we'll wait to hear from Davide on this, but that's my guess.

Anyhow, I'm in need of a new phone these days and I think a Samsung Galaxy with Android would be best fit, especially given the possiblity of playing freeciv :)
"Big Brother is watching you" - George Orwell
"Shh! I'm Hunting Wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
"What a Nimrod" - Bugs Bunny

NIMMY
Major Nimrod
Contributor & Co-Admin

Postby zielmicha » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm investigating save compatibility issue, and I think I know what's wrong. However you could help me by sending incompatible save files to civ@civsync.com.
zielmicha
Android developer

Postby Yo5 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:41 pm

First of all, my compliments for the great game you've made. I enjoy playing it.
Mostly I play on my android phone (version 1.1.10) but last week I wanted to play my saved game on Windows so I installed 2.5.1 gkt2. This step was okay. I played on my windows without any problem (dropbox link works great)
However I cannot play a windows-saved game on my phone. It loads the game, but gives a sand color background.
It looks like the bug described in viewtopic.php?f=44&t=717. Main difference is that I can play games that I saved in dropbox with my phone.

It seems to be a compatibility issue. I also installed 2.4 and 2.3 on my laptop. And both versions cannot load the game saved in windows 2.5.1.
Is there a way to play my 2.5.1 game on my phone?
Thanks in advance
Yo5

Postby Corbeau » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Hello. This forum has slightly shifted its purpose and I'm not sure if there are people here who may give such technical assistence. We mostly talk about organising GreatTurn games.

It's more likely that you'll find what you're looking for here:
forum.freeciv.org
Corbeau

Return to Get help