Accounts e-mail HP

Disable update checking?

You can get help here for any kind of problem ranging from Freeciv to the website.

Disable update checking?

Postby morphles » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 am

It seems freeciv 2.4 client always checks for updates on startup. I really do not like it and find such check uselless, but I do not see an option to disable it. Maybe I just failed to locate it?
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Re: Disable update checking?

Postby Davide » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:24 pm

The update check only occurs when the client connects to metaserver after the user opens the multiplayer menu, hence the internet connection has to be established anyway so this check doesn't drain any considerable extra bandwidth.
I don't think this can be disabled though.
Davide

Postby morphles » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:36 pm

It's not an issue of draining bw. If I dont want it to do that it shouldn't do it. Besides sometimes host name resolution tends to take long for me (nor sure why) and this basically hangs client until check is done. While there is no such problem with 2.3. Well, i'll probably be able to edit code.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Davide » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm

IIRC the client uses libcurl to contact metaserver; I think it downloads a single xml document which incorporates both the servers list and the latest release version, so it doesn't make a dedicated connection to check the version. However look at the code to be sure :)
Davide

Return to General tech support