Accounts e-mail HP

Ponderings on trade routes/caravans

Smallpox vs. largepox, early war vs. peaceful alliances... the AI is too tame? Discuss the best strategies!

Re: Ponderings on trade routes/caravans

Postby morphles » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:45 pm

No. It's still crap. First it does not solve many of mentioned issues (likely makes some of them worse). And it must introduce interface complications. (while instant bonus trade already has everything you talked about, with 0 additional interface). The point is that such risk free stuff is imbalanced, thus one way trade is best, and simplest, it even would simplify current interfaces as the need to display trade routes would be abolished.

Anyways I started looking in a code, and at least for human players it should be doable, so I'll be working on a patch, though for 2.5 version of freeciv, but it should come out quite soon anyways.

Again trade routes have basically 0 advantage when compared to instant income trade. And I have very very strong suspicion that they were made "to simplify micromanagement", but would say that, that comes at a great coast, and I would even doubt how much it solves that.

Also just now I though that with instant trade, some cities would be much more important, as there would be no arbitrary limitations (like 4 trade routes per city, which is totally arbitrary; also less arbitrary numbers is definitely a plus in my book), some cities would become much much more important and could truly be centers of trade. With all what that implies (most likely expect raids and similar).
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:40 pm

In Freeciv 2.6 it is possible to allow caravans to do an action that gives a one time bonus ("Enter Marketplace") without allowing them to do an action that establishes a trade route ("Establish Trade Route"). (source)

Postby morphles » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 am

Nice! Very very nice!
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Isn't that possible in earlier versions? Simply give a one-time bonus, but without establishing a trade route that would last forever?
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Not without source code patch. Or possibly you could make trade route give 0 gold, that could approximate that.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Postby Corbeau » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:58 am

Approximate? That's exactly it.

Unless setting it to 0 also gives no revenue upon arrival?
Corbeau

Postby morphles » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:40 am

Ah yes, I think thheres something like that, those revenues were related. I know that I tried to edit ruleset to get such effect and I failed. And now I think that that was the reason.
morphles
Co-Admin of GT10-Hexmap

Previous

Return to Gameplay